Information for Faculty & Staff


College of Forestry Forms

OSU Registrar Forms



Grading Information - Registrar's Office 
Questions about grading can be sent to  

Online changes to grades will be allowed for up to one academic year from the term when the course was taken. Any changes that are for a course older than one year will have to be made via a Change of Grade form, submitted to the Registrars Office.


Student Conduct, Appeals, Grievances, Academic Standards
COF Information - Student Services Office
Faculty Support Information - Office of the Dean of Student Life
Incident Reporting - Office of the Dean of Student Life



OSU Academic Calendar

OSU-Cascades Academic Calendar

OSU Five-Year Academic Calendar


Curriculum Committees

FERM - Forest Engineering

Ben Leshchinsky, Chair
FERM - Forestry John Sessions, Chair
FES - New Program  Mark Harmon, Chair
WSE  Lech Muszynski, Chair


Undergraduate Studies

Organizational Chart


Scheduling FAQs

Who do I contact if I need a class added to the schedule of classes?

Julie Barlow joined the College of Forestry in September 2013, and schedules all College of Forestry course on the Corvallis campus and Ecampus. If you need a course added to, or removed from, the schedule, or changes made to an existing course, you should contact Julie Barlow at  , 737-6790, or in Snell 402.


I don’t have a thesis (or research, projects, reading & conference) section for next term.  Is it too late to set one up?

Adding a new section of any course is quick and easy.  They can be added to the schedule any time up to, and including, the first week of class (earlier is better) and will usually be available for registration the same day you make your request.


When is my final exam?

The final exam schedules are added to the online schedule of classes around the middle of the term.  The schedule and location appear directly below the lecture schedule.  Except in rare circumstances the final exam location is the same as the lecture location, but you can request a different room.

To determine your exam time sooner you can look at the scheme used to determine the exam times.  The exam time is determined by the day/time of the first lecture session (or primary section if there is no lecture) even in the rare event that the class has a lab (or recitation, studio, etc.) that occurs earlier in the week.


Is it possible to change the time of my class?

Course schedules can be changed any time before registration begins.  Careful consideration should be made to ensure that the new course schedule doesn’t conflict with other classes that students are required to take concurrently with yours.

The Office of the Registrar no longer allows schedules to be changed after registration begins, however we are allowed to cancel a class and add a new section at a different time.  It’s important to be aware however, that a time change may have a negative effect on students who are already registered in the class so time changes after registration begins should only be made when absolutely necessary.


Where will my class be next year when Peavy is no longer available?

The College of Forestry will have two computer classrooms in Richardson Hall: RICH 203 (seats 18) and RICH 313 (seats 30).  That’s one less computer classroom than we had when Peavy Hall was available so it may be necessary to reschedule some classes to fit them all in, especially during Winter term when computer classroom usage is especially high.

The class lab in the Peavy basement, PVY 072, will be relocated to RICH 289.  That room is currently (as of May 2016) being renovated to change it from a research lab into a class lab and that process will be completed sometime during the summer.  The seating capacity has not yet been determined.

Other than the relocated computer/class labs the only classrooms available that are controlled by the College of Forestry will be RICH 243 and RICH 107. RICH 243 has traditionally been used for WSE classes and those classes will be given priority in that room.  Unused time slots will be filled in with FES and possibly FE or FOR classes.  RICH 107 has traditionally been used for workshops and in an effort to disrupt those as little as possible that room will only be used for sections that absolutely must be in Richardson Hall to provide access to lab/course materials, and that can’t be placed in RICH 243 or RICH 289. RICH 115 will not be used for classes.  

Other sections that normally meet in regular classrooms in Peavy Hall will be placed in General Purpose (GP) university controlled classrooms and could be located anywhere on campus.  These classrooms are assigned by the University Schedule Desk (part of the Office of the Registrar) not by the college scheduler.

While it may not be possible to ensure that the classroom you are assigned is close to your office or lab it will be possible to ensure that it has all of the necessary equipment and amenities that you require.  You will be allowed to request up to four room attributes (GP + three others) for each section of your class (lecture, lab, etc. may have different room attributes).  You can consult this list of room attributes to inform your request.  The room scheduling software will not place you in a room that does not have the attributes that you request.
If your class needs to be near stored materials/equipment used in class, Julie Barlow may be able to request a specific room or building but you must contact her early in the scheduling process (before mid-April for Fall term, early October for Winter term, or mid-January for Spring term).  It may not be possible to accommodate requests made after the Schedule Desk runs the room scheduling software because another class may have been placed in the room that you want.  Requests for specific rooms will only be allowed in very limited circumstances where there is a valid need.

Category I & II Proposal FAQs

I need to create a new course or make changes to an existing course.  Who should I contact?

In addition to scheduling courses, Julie Barlow is also the coordinator for all College of Forestry Category I and II proposals.  She can assist you in gathering all of the necessary information, submitting the proposal, and will keep track of the proposals progress.  You can contact Julie at julie.barlow@oregonstate.edu, 737-6790, or in Snell 402.

What’s the difference between a Category I and Category II proposal?

Category I proposals are used to create, change, or terminate Colleges, Schools, and Departments and to create or terminate majors.  Category I proposals are approved either by the OUS Provosts Council or the Oregon State Board of Higher Education.

Category II proposals create new courses, minors, and options; change courses, minors, options, and majors; and terminate courses, minors, and options.  Category II proposals are approved by Faculty Senate Committees of OSU.


What information is necessary to create a new course?

Julie Barlow will provide you with a form that can be filled in to provide all of the necessary information.  In general you will be required to provide:

  • Effective term (the term that the new course will appear in the catalog)
  • Designator (e.g. FOR 372)
  • Title (max of 60 characters)
  • Number of credits
  • Max credits to graduation (generally the same as the number of credits unless a student can receive credit for taking the course more than once)
  • Grading Mode (A-F or P/N)
  • Courses taught schedule (e.g. every Fall term). 
  • Schedule Types. (Consult the list of available schedule types. You can select as many as you think you will need but each CRN has only one schedule type so it’s generally not necessary to have more than 1-3 schedule types)
  • Campus location (Corvallis, Ecampus, and/or Cascades)
  • Course description (this is the text that goes in the catalog)
  • Slash course (400/500 or 500/600)
  • Crosslisted courses
  • Equivalent courses (equivalent courses are those which may be considered 'equal' to this course for the purpose of graduation requirements)
  • Bacc Core/WIC/ or DPD  (if yes, there will be a list of questions that must be answered regarding how the course meets the requirements for the Bacc Core/WIC/ or DPD category)
  • Pre-requisites and co-requisites, if any
  • Justification (a brief explanation for why adding this course to the catalog is a good idea)
  • Liaisons (the system will automatically include some liaisons based on the course designator selected but additional liaisons can be added)
  • A syllabus

What information is necessary to submit a proposal to make changes to an existing course?

Most of the information for existing courses is already in the system so in most cases all that is needed is the effective term, a list of the changes to be made, and a reason (justification) for making those changes.  A syllabus is also required and occasionally additional information may be requested.


Do I need to submit a syllabus with my New/Change/Drop course proposal?

A syllabus is required for all New Course and Change Course proposals.  A syllabus is not required for Drop Course proposals.  Consult the Minimum requirements for a syllabus.  (Note: the Statement Regarding Students with Disabilities and the link to the Statement of Expectations for Student Conduct are occasionally updated so make sure you are using the current ones provided in the Syllabus Minimum Requirements.  If your syllabus contains an outdated disability statement or student conduct link your proposal will be sent back for corrections).


Which types of course changes require a Category II proposal and which do not?

Changing any of these things requires a Category II proposal: Title; number of credits; grading mode; schedule types; campus locations; course description; prerequisites and co-requisites; dropping a course from the catalog.  Proposals for adding new schedule types or campus locations, and proposals to drop courses can usually be expedited (two reviews rather than seven).

These course changes do not require a Category II proposal: Schedule; instructor; removing a cross-listing; adding an approved course fee to a scheduled course.  Changing prerequisites from enforced to unenforced or vice versa can be done without a proposal but this change cannot be done while registration is in progress.

Creating a new course fee, or changing an existing course fee must go through an approval process but that’s a different procedure and not related to the Cat I/II proposal system.


I need to offer a new course in the Fall.  How soon do I need to submit a New Course Proposal?

A new course can only be offered during a specific term if the New Course Proposal is approved before registration for that term begins.  The approval process usually takes from 1-3 months but can occasionally take longer.  A proposal for a Fall term class must be approved before Fall term registration begins in mid-May, so ideally the proposal should be started no later than mid-February.  Proposals for Bacc Core, WIC, and DPD courses will take a little longer because they go through more reviews.